Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Day 14 - The Vortex

At The Vortex ;-)
Day 14
West Glacier, MT - Cheney, WA
296 miles + detours

After sleeping in a tshirt, fleece, long pants and thick socks...under a sheet, down blanket and sleeping bag...I awoke to rain.  Nix the hiking idea.  Warmed up the breakfast I prepared the night before.  Stopped at a few more overlooks.  Saw a warbler of some sort.  Took Route 2, the road less traveled.  Saw lots of interesting little towns.  Visited the vortex, an area with some sort of special energy that makes people shrink and tree branches grow funny.  I think it may have been optical illusions...but I'm not so sure.  Stopped at lots of pull-offs that threatened to have wildlife viewing.  Ha!  Found the Kootenai Wildlife Refuge and did see some white tail deer, a kingfisher, three new kinds of hummingbirds, red tailed hawks and 2 bald eagles.  I also met a guy who recommended I go to Turnbull Wildlife Refuge, so I'm camped 3 miles away and checking it out in the morning.  He guaranteed a moose sighting.  ;-)  Tomorrow my toes should touch the Pacific.

No comments:

Post a Comment